So you have decided on your PGDM specialization? Human resource management is undoubtedly a good option for any management aspirant. A number of young graduates are opting for this career option. In general, a student pursuing a Post Graduate Diploma in HRM will have to study in depth about recruiting, talent acquisition, employee engagement, training, payroll, retention, mentoring the employees in the organization and keeping them motivated.
What are the skills required to be a good HR Manager?
Most importantly, an HR has to be a people’s person. One should have a knack of dealing with people, managing them, listening to their queries and catering to their problems. If you are willing to be on your toes and deal with a diverse audience and culture, then PGDM IN HR is a good choice for you. One should be open to work with targets.
Also, an HR’s job is not a mundane 9 to 5 desk job. One must be proactive and prepared to handle any kind of situation in the organization like high employee attrition rate, change management or handling employee grievances. Needless to say that fluent communication and decision making skills are indispensable. Knowing a couple of other languages will prove to be an added advantage for you.
Eligibility for pursuing HR management
A graduate in any discipline is eligible for PG Diploma in Human Resource Management. A minimum of 50% marks must be secured by the student. It is advisable that if you are from psychology or organizational development background, then HR is suitable for you. However, this is not mandatory. Even the students from engineering or technical background choose to pursue HR management.
The students need to clear an entrance exam like CAT, XAT, MAT, SNAP etc. or any other exam as per the admission process of the institution in which you have applied. Some institutes have an entrance test of their own. Group discussions and personal interview round in the next after successfully clearing the entrance test. If the student has some kind of work experience, it is also taken into consideration.
Steps to Prepare for PG Diploma in Human Resource Management
If you are aiming for PGDM in HR, then take these points into consideration:
- Although it is no compulsion, but it is preferable to pursue a bachelor’s degree which has at least one of the business subjects
- It is essential to improve your communication skills with constant practice like reading or public speaking
- Try to get involved in college events or in various college committees, so that you can interact with people and gain confidence
- Try to get some work experience. You will definitely have an edge over the others
- You must start preparing for entrance exams from final year onwards
- Have a strong network of friends from other colleges. This will help you understand their study patterns and techniques
- Give as many mock tests as possible
- Have a list of institutes you aim for, and start preparing according to their standards and norms
- Lastly, keep yourself motivated